The Royal Pavilion Hotel was built to serve railway and steamship travellers heading up to London. The hotel’s proprietor also built the Royal Pavilion Pleasure Gardens which existed from 1851 to 1890. The hotel was the only local riverside pub with a sun terrace, and was a popular stopping-off place for the Sun tugs.
It also had a giant COURAGE sign that lit up at night and was visible from the far side of the river. The sign is visible in the film 'A Prayer for the Dying' (1987) captured on Reelstreets (Cap 27-29) at this link.
Though the hotel closed and was demolished in 2003, the Gardens still exist today as the Royal Victoria Gardens.